Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Fisher-Wife

Christina Rossetti (1830 - 1894), an outstanding poet in Victorian England, is best known for lengthy works, including "Goblin Market". However, her ability to capture depths of emotion within just a few verses should not be overlooked.

The following poem strikes a chord in all who live by the sea.

A Fisher-Wife

The soonest mended, nothing said;
And help may rise from east or west;
But my two hands are lumps of lead,
My heart sits leaden in my breast.

O north wind swoop not from the north,
O south wind linger in the south,
Oh come not raving raging forth,
To bring my heart into my mouth;

For I’ve a husband out at sea,
Afloat on feeble planks of wood;
He does not know what fear may be;
I would have told him if I could.

I would have locked him in my arms,
I would have hid him in my heart;
For oh! the waves are fraught with harms,
And he and I so far apart.

1 comment:

Vickie Stowe said...

I've never been to the museum, but wow, I love poetry, and my husband is as has-been commercial fisherman who longs to go back to it. Because of his age and more because of his health, I discourage him. What is really weird is that I am building a website called fisherwife, and just for the fun of it, I did a search for a blog by that name. Little did I know that I'd find a poem that could very well describe my feelings were he out at sea again. Thanks for sharing it.